Team no Sleep

Monday October 27th, while I was at work, I kept  having contractions. I had been in and out of the hospital with pre term labor symptoms twice. I had received the terbutaline shots to stop my contractions and sent home. I could see my sons heart rate speed up every time I had a dose. I felt horrible, but it was too early for him to come. That Monday I had my first set of weekly prenatal visits. I went in, I was 2cm dilated and everything looked good. When I got home I started bleeding. I thought it was my mucus plug. I started getting more contractions and decided it was time. we went for a mile walk and decided to head to the hospital. I am one of the lucky ones that can tolerate pain very well. I get to the hospital and the security officer signs me in and calls a nurse. The nurse says they are too booked and asks if I really look like I am in labor or even in pain. He looked stumped. I was in pain! My tolerated pain. They make me wait. I walk, I stand, I breathe. They let me in and ask me if I am having contractions. I said yes I am, otherwise I wouldn’t be here! I explained I was bleeding and I felt like this was it. They wrapped the contraction monitor around me and voila! he was going full force! They looked at me like I was inhuman. How on Earth was I tolerating that? I remembered all my breathing techniques from youtube! Time passed, they had me on pitocin to speed up the process and monitored his heart rate. That actually numbed me. Like I said I am one of the lucky ones! They broke my water and 1 day, 8 hours and 3 mins later he was here. He hit the first day of week 37.

Though I was happy and scared all at the same time I was thinking about my finals! Yes Finals! I sent my Government Professor a text and let him know that as soon as I got home I would take the exam. He had no idea I was pregnant and expressed how crazy I was to even think about school at that time. I was cleared to go on Friday and took my final exam quietly in my in laws guest bedroom. I was relieved. Thoughts about work went through my head. I had been fighting with the VA for FMLA and was unable to receive it since I was a new employee and had not worked there for more than a year. I was granted 4 weeks of non paid leave and was to return to work without pay for another month. I thank my co workers and supervisor for donating some of their leave to help me out!!

So in a moment where you are supposed to be filled with bliss, reality hits. You are a full time student, a full time employee, and now you are a MOM!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s